- What do you do?
- "You can take DVC's costuming class, but this is a lot different. A
t the end of the day, we're being taught and then doing it. Get a lot more attention and hands- on guidance. Usually only about 3 of us at a time. "
- Working with patterns
- Cutting fabric
- Building from scratch
- Stocking and organizing
- "Get to learn a lot about the different types of clothing"
- Like "hosen"
- Learning about historical fashion by period
- Getting to meet the actors we're building clothes for
- Getting treated like a professional, being held to their standards
- What do you learn?
- Working with patterns, to cutting and sewing together a complete piece
- Using industrial sewing machines
- Watching a real-life professional costume shop in operation
- How long?
- Late may to Late July
- Summer program
- Don't be afraid to ask questions
- Take your time
- How do you sign up?
- Assessments to skill level
- 16 and up
- DVC work-study program COOP180. Degree credit, transferrable
- Local and able to come into the shop
- 4 hours a day, 2 days a week and up.
Working a the Pink Depford Design Studio this summer has been an amazing learning experience. IN the 2 (Little Mermaid, Merry Poppins) months I’ve been here, I learned about the different clothing styles for the different time periods. I also got to work on the costumes for 2 different shows. Pink Depford Designs has opened my eyes to the world of costuming and I loved every bit of it.
Working for Liz martin over the summer has been a wonderful experience. I learned quite a lot by asking as many questions as possible; Liz is a very patient teacher along with the other people who work here. I came in with a general understanding of costuming but I leave with knowledge that will help me with my future career as a theater technician. Thanks Liz!
In the 4 months that I have been an intern at Pink Depford Designs, I have learned an incredible amount about the costuming process of a theatrical show. Liz and her team make great instructors. I feel so much more confident designing and building my own costumes and garments after my time at Pink Depford Designs.